An EEA national does not require a registration certificate to confirm their right of residence in the UK. On the contrary, an extended family member of an EEA national must apply for a registration certificate to continue living in the UK lawfully.

The registration card helps the holder in re-entering the UK if traveling abroad, in finding and retaining employment and in getting benefits and supports conveniently.

In any case, the EEA and Swiss national has to be a Qualified Person at the time of applying for a registration card. The followings are considered as qualified persons:

  • A job seeker
  • A worker
  • A self-employed person
  • A self-sufficient person
  • A student

NOTE: Registration certificates will not be a valid proof of residence after 31 December 2020. Regardless of previously being issued a registration certificate, a ‘settled status’ will need to be obtained to be able to continue living in the UK after June 2021.