Sports Person Work Visa

If you’re an elite sportsperson or qualified coach coming to the UK you can apply for a sports person visa. Here’s what you need to know.


You can apply for a sports person visa if you’re an elite sports person at the top of your profession.

To qualify you must:

  • Be an elite sportsperson or coach recognised by your governing body as bring at the top of your game internationally.
  • Your application is endorsed by your governing body.
  • Your employment will develop your sport in the UK at the highest level.


Unless you come from an exempt nation you must prove your knowledge of English by:

  • Passing an approved language test with at least CEFR level B2 in reading, writing, speaking and listening.
  • Having an academic qualification that was taught in English and is recognised by UK NARIC as being equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD.

Length of stay

A sportsperson visa allows you to come to the UK for up to three years. You can extend this for up to three years and a maximum stay of six years.

You can settle permanently in the UK after being in the Tier 2 Sportsperson category for five years. If you have been in the UK in other immigration categories, you may be able to combine the time spend towards settlement.

Second jobs

While in the UK you can take second jobs which are related to your profession and represent your national team. You may also study, do voluntary work and take temporary work such as working in broadcasting as long as it doesn’t interfere with your primary jobs.

Get in touch

To find out more, our team of expert immigration lawyers or immigration solicitors can help.

    Contact Us

    By ticking this box, you agree that you have read (a) our terms & conditions and (b) our privacy policy.

    Please prove you are human by selecting the cup.