Domestic Worker in a Household Visa

If you work as a cleaner, chauffeur, cook, a nanny or provide personal care, you could be eligible for a domestic worker in a household visa.

  • About you: You can apply if you are at least 19, have worked with your employer for at least a year and work in their household. You can also apply if you are moving to the UK with your employer and plan to leave within six months or at the same time as your employer whichever is sooner.
  • About your employer: He or she may be a British citizen living outside the UK or a foreigner. Either way they must plan to stay for no more than six months.
  • Finances: You must be paid the minimum wage and have enough money to support yourself while in the UK.
  • Knowledge of English: You must prove you have a working knowledge of English. You can do this by passing an approved English test with at least CEFR level B1 in reading, writing, speaking and listening, or have an academic qualification which is taught in English and is recognised by UK NARIC as being equivalent to a BA, Master’s degree or a PHD.
  • Length of Stay: You must leave after six months or when your employer leaves, whichever is sooner. This is not a route towards having permanent right to remain.

Get in Touch

If you’d like more information, our team of expert immigration lawyers or immigration solicitors can help.

    Contact Us

    By ticking this box, you agree that you have read (a) our terms & conditions and (b) our privacy policy.

    Please prove you are human by selecting the key.