Government Authorised Exchange visa (T5)

An authorised exchange visa will help you come to work for a short time to complete work experience, do training take part in n overseas government language programme, research or fellowship scheme.
This visa replaces the Tier 5 (Temporary Worker – Government Authorised Exchange) visa


You will need a certificate of sponsorship reference number which should be given to you by your employer. Your work, training or research in the UK must relate to the work of your sponsor organisation.

Costs and Maintenance

You will need to show you have at least £1,270 to support yourself when you arrive, together with enough money for the application fee and the health surcharge. You may be exempt if your sponsor will support you, in which case they must complete the sponsor certifies maintenance section on your certificate.

How long can you stay?

Your visa will last for up to 12 or 24 months depending on the scheme you’re applying for, plus 14 days. You can enter up to 14 days before your job starts.
This is not a route into permanent settlement. If you want to leave and come back, your sponsor will have to cover you for multiple entry.

Get in touch

To find out more, our team of expert immigration lawyers or immigration solicitors can help.

    Contact Us

    By ticking this box, you agree that you have read (a) our terms & conditions and (b) our privacy policy.

    Please prove you are human by selecting the truck.