It is potentially dangerous and bears grave consequences if someone travels without proper documents. When a non-UK National living in the UK wishes to travel outside the UK but does not have a passport or he cannot use one, has to apply for UK travel document to go through international borders.

The applicant must be a lawful resident in the UK and must also be one of the followings:

  • He has been granted humanitarian protection or discretionary leave to enter or remain in the UK for a limited period after a failed asylum application.
  • He has indefinite leave to remain
  • He has been recognized as stateless under the terms of the 1954 United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Stateless Persons
  • He has been recognized as a refugee in the UK under the terms of the 1951 United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees, or a person who has come to the UK on a Family Reunion visa to join a refugee.

Depending on the applicant’s immigration status, the following are the 4 types of travel documents:

  • Convention Travel Document – if applying as a refugee
  • Stateless Person’s Documents – if applying as a stateless person
  • Certificate of Travel – if applying after been refused a passport by national authorities of his own country
  • One-way Document – if wanting to leave Uthe K and not coming back

We have an extensive experience of dealing in these kind of matters, please contact our office for a efficacious advice.